Wednesday, May 31, 2006










We arrived back from our Italian travels in the early hours of Tuesday morning. K had a great week sailing and bimbling on the boat at lake Garda, although the wind was not always as much as they would of hoped for.

I have two nearly complete new paintings and a few more nearly planned. This year the grass in the dinghy park was being dug up and I could not set camp, I think this left me slightly unsettled and in full sun to concentrate. Two years ago I got so much more done but then I did have a degree show in three weeks. There are two many lovely distractions and lots of ice cream. I discovered this path that took you winding along the rocky cliff along a disused road now a superhighway for mountain bikes. It precariously found its way up through the cliff face and provided a great Ariel vantage point of the sailing even if it was all a little too far away to see.

I did manage to drag K away from sailing to do some climbing and via farrata.

I was on an absolute mission to bring back some Italian flour. I have some French flour which makes the most suburb crepes. Last night I hung up washing lines in the kitchen to hang up my fresh pasta made with half semolina flour. The flour worked a treat so much easier to roll out. Semolina flour has a high protein content so binds together better making the tastiest pasta, I made a lovely creamy mushroom source to go with it. Next I will try the Italian OO flour to make pizza base with.



Again I have left the cat till last, she will be a white cat to go with the white spots on the tea cups, but needs some shadow. She is having a delicious picnic, but is being very fusy and would prefer sardines to cake, unfortunatly somebody
forgot to pack the tin opener!

7 comments:

Roz said...

Welcome home from what appears to have been a fabulous trip. You've made me very hungry yet again! Delightful paintings. I love seeing your work in progress.

Ulla said...

Ohhhhh welcome home! And what delightful paintings to look at. So happy that Italy was inspiring... The cat sans canopener is delightful, and I love the lounging puppy... but its the little train on top that really tweeks my heart! so sweet...

CAS said...

Gorgeous stuff - as ever!

CAS xxx

audrey said...

Your trip sounds so divine...oh, I hope to make it there one day. Your latest is just beautiful. I absolutely love the white cat.

PG said...

Welcome back, and what lovely paintings - I'm with Ulla on this, the toy train is delightful!

tlc illustration said...

Glad the trip was fun - and good for you to be able to get painting done (I'm absolutely dismal at working when I'm away from home). Very engaging animals.

Carol said...

Welcome back Joanna!
Three beautiful pictures! Especially the picnic one with the cat and the sardine can. Lovely!