Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Boxes, Teddies, Toys and Childhood memories.

Jayne from Country Cottage Chic and Michelle at Cowboys and custard have been talking about childhood toys/teddies.

I was very lucky and had lots of toys. Lego, sindy's, playmobile, loads of softies a lovely farm yard. Its hard to say my favourite. I was though always very content with an empty card board box and a pile of paper tissues, or even better a tissue box with half its contents left in it.

You might ask what I found so fascinating about boxes and tissues. Well I liked to make houses for everyone of my treasured animals, being softies or little ornaments they all had houses. Decorated with fine swags made from tissues. Beds so soft and comfy made from cotton wool and yes more tissues. This might of been some thing to do with the effects of being an only child for 10 years and having to amuse ones self. I lived in this imaginary world of my animals and houses and when I was not making I was drawing or painting.

That was until one certain Friday night in March some twenty one years ago. It very annoyingly nearly interfered with the weekly viewing of Gardner's world that I had always been allowed to stay up and watch on a Friday night with my mum. Luckily we just got to watch it.


The teddy I would like to share with you is Mixer. He came in a huge box, which of course I liked very much, but inside was this funny old mouse creature. My Grandma had given him on the Saturday the day after my little had been born and the box filled my lap as I sat in the back of the car on the way to visit the new brother in hospital.




I named the mouse Mixer named after the dog in this book. I used to love this book. I loved the colours. The way it was written as a play which you could act out with the pull tabs (I was a slow reader as I'm dyslexic - if you had not guessed! I might of enjoyed reading something in this format). I loved the story about ever lasting lollipops and it all finished with Munch and Mixer holding an everlasting lollipop party under the everlasting lollipop tree, with all their animal friends. The colour of Mixer mouse rather reminded me of Mixer Dog, so I think that had something to do with the naming too.
Mixer and I have been on many adventures together, he came on all my school residential and much to my dismay got swung round by his tail by my friends. I'm sure I made him houses out of cardboard boxes. I have other more precious softies/ teddies, it must have something to do with the manner and circumstances in which he arrived, has made me have a certain affinity with him. He is one of a few softies that have made it to our little house from my parents in Suffolk, more will follow but they don't like travelling together as they get a little argumentative in the car.
Oh and I still made houses from boxes after my brother was born. He was a my naughty little brother and I had built a multi story sky scrapper (lots of boxes stacked up) of a house with a ground floor shop stocked with an assortment of use full things including real loose tea and split peas. Along the naughty little brother came and knocked it all over, well that was the end of that sadly the hay day of the card board box house was over. My further attempts got more dolls house like, smaller and just different, one even had electric lights fitted and a rather nice upholstered three piece suite that I had made from some empty sardine boxes.

16 comments:

shabby chic said...

Hi Joanna
Mixer sounds like he was well loved and well travelled too
!. I remember my major morgan a hand held little organ and I loved my big yellow teapot. Also I loved keeping jelly babies in matchboxes??!!. Playing dolls hospital and teddies too, to be little again xx Dominique

Country Cottage Chic said...

I love the cardboard boxes stories! I used to make cardboard box stables for mt model horses, as well as saddles, bridles, head collars & rugs.

I've added your post to the "Teddy Bear Challenge" list.

:-)
Jayne

Anonymous said...

Lovely mouse and cardboard box story, I'm still very tempted to make houses out of old cardboard boxes!
Carolyn
http://willowhouse.typepad.com

cd&m said...

Now why did I think your childhood toy would have been a rabbit? Charming tale od mouse and houses.

Karen said...

Good to see Mixer again! He's not aged at all! Your brother on the other hand - I can't believe he's 21.

white o'morn cottage said...

Mixer is as cute as a button! I am also afflicted with a box obsession. I can't throw a nice box out - I just have to find a use for it. I store lots of lovely things in them to justify holding on to them. (which means I have to collect lots more lovely things - right?) I thought I was alone in the world with this little pecadillo. Love Pam

Elizabeth said...

I think creativity must start very young. Nothing is more fun than making things..........
Wonderful stories.

archi's mum said...

warm inside... that's how this makes me feel - thank you for sharing your memories and bear... i'll have to share my bear Poac sometime... an adult teddy bear, took him on a road trip i took up the california, oregon and washington coasts since it was just me i put him in all the pictures :-) it was fun

LOUISE @ HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS said...

What great teeth Mixer has. I never had a pesky little brother, my brother just had a pesky little sister! Great memories from your childhood, thank goodness we have them. I hope CR and Mixer get on OK? x

Cowboys & Custard said...

I loved reading about your creative pursuits as a child.. I too had a thing for cardboard boxes... shoe boxes in my case.
I can just imagine you making your houses Jo.. and look where all that creative time spent as a child has led you.. to being a fantastic artist today!!!
I have posted some bunny friends of mine today.. I thought Captain Rupert might like to see them..

Lots of love
Michelex

The Fluffy Tribe said...

aw Mixer is cute, I would snuffle and chew him ~Rabbie Burns

Rabbits' Guy said...

What a story! How's Captain R? People are still checking out the carrot cake recipe!

Rima said...

Hi Joanna... just found your message .. thanks for the linkage :) Lovely stories of childhood :) I also made box-houses with my siblings :)

weirdbunny said...

I loved sindy dolls. I also had pippa dolls, which were like half the size of sindys.


I loved small boxes for keeping ladybirds in from the garden. Of course the next day they would have always have escaped !

ellie said...

Gosh, that brings back memories ! I too loved getting an empty box to turn into a shop or a palace or something for my dolls ! I must have spent hours creating ! I still get a buzz out of an empty shoe box !

The Vintage Magpie said...

Hi Joanna, thank you so much for the beautiful cards.. I have tried to email you but it keeps coming back to me returned..?? Anyway, Im over the moon with the card, and would like you know if you do your Tidy picture in a large card? My daughter has fallen in love with it! xx PS. The carrot cake is divine!