Monday, February 04, 2008

Home Alone
Captain Rupert and I have been home alone all weekend, and are very much looking forward to K getting back late tonight. In his absense we thought it only right to have a party, we invited all of captain ruperts friends, including badger and barn owl and ernest the mouse, we are still waiting for some of his rabbit friends to arrive, I'm sure they will they will sniff out what a wonderful spread we have laid out on the picnic cloth.



We picked the spot carefully, the view is great and it catches the evening sun. The slope levels of making plenty of room for all the guests.




It not to long a walk from our house, infact you can see our house, its in the cluster of red houses towards the left. Just over the trees.


When the light fades there are plenty of lanterns and the birds have promised to sing, so there is sure to be some dancing and much merryment. Great aunt Velvet fashioned a tent out of an old table cloth so if it gets chilly there is some shelter and there is some warming carrot stew being prepared.
I think I might do a tonal study of this drawing before painting it, I don't normally because of the way I layer up the colours normally resolves any tonal issues, but there is so much going on and its a big picture ( A3) I think it might make me feel more confident in painting it.
I went to visit the horse with one eye on my walk on the Down yesterday, she is so friendly. I was delighted to see she had had a foal, which was so exciting. I thought they look lovely together. I can just see the field that they live in from my bedroom window, the horses look like dots. Now I know, I can spot her and her foal as a white and brown dot eating lots of hay. I will have to visit again soon.

23 comments:

natural attrill said...

Lovely drawing, I really like it just how it is as a sketch!
P.x

Jackie M said...

What a fabulously detailed drawing and love the little story to accompany it, Great Aunt Velvet is a super name! You have some beautiful views and I love the horse and foal photo. Thanks for sharing them with us. Love Jackie Mx

The Fluffy Tribe said...

oh we can't wait to see your Momma's new picture when it's done Capt Rupert. How was the party? Sounds like sooper fun. ~The Fluffy Tribe

MILLY said...

This is a great sketch , so much going on and we know you will make a fabulous job of it.
Love the painting of your glass cake stand and the cupcakes, they do look too good to eat.

Fiona Bun said...

Oh lovely! We'd be happy to hop over for a picnic like that one!

weirdbunny said...

So not only does captain rupert have toast for breakfast, but he also gets to host a tea party with all his friends !

Rabbits' Guy said...

Yeah .. and Capt'n can cook up quite a good looking carrot stew over the camp fire there too!

Party on .. and paint as well!

tlc illustration said...

I love the 'story' in this sketch - so much fun stuff going on (and what a darling horse-mommy and baby picture!) Great view - luck girl!

ellie said...

What a lovely picture that will be ! Look forward to seeing the finished result ! Have you thought of doing a childrens illustrated book ? Your adventures and paintings would make a magical book !
I will show my daughter the horse and her foal, she loves horses and we are pony hunting just now. It will be exciting to have a pony on the farm, someone to go and talk to ! Take care XX

Libbys Blog said...

A winter picnic! What fun, I hope you wrapped up warm!

shabby chic said...

Hi joanna & Captain Rupert,
The pictures are beautifull of the fields & the animals. Great inspiration for you and your work. Yes with all the good things in kiwi fruits they are said to be good for asthma. My little boy eats more now he knows this!. His asthma is worse when he has a cold or cough which is quite frequently at the moment .
X Dominique

Elizabeth said...

Your rabbit is very cool!
A beautiful blog.
whereabouts in England are you?
Today I'm feeling rather homesick - did you see Middle of Nowhere's blog about Oxford?
Thank you for visitng our blog about Marrakech.
All best wishes.

PG said...

That's a brilliant sketch Jo, if I weren't a pauper I would buy it just like that.

Rima said...

hello Joanna... thanks for visiting me :) Lovely to find your little world here... a lovely drawing and a lovely place... All the best from Scotland :) Rima

archi's mum said...

sounds like a wonderful picnic with an awesome view and great friends and food. i love the sketch!

cd&m said...

Gorgeous views and foals, what more could anyone ask for but a foal? Love your sketch and really look forward to seeing the finished work in all it's glorious colour.

Lesley said...

You had me mesmerised with your description of the picnic, lanterns after dark sounds so romantic! Will there be some bunny love?! It is valentine's day soon after all. Fantabulous sketch, can't wait to see the painting! Have a great weekend.
Ooh forgot to say, isn't that foal gorgeous!

roz said...

Oh my goodness Ruperts party illustration is precious. Are you going to paint it? I hope you do!
Where you live is my idea of heaven.
I am desperate to go for a visit to England.
My mum is from St.Albans(lives here in the states now) and my uncle is in Oxford.
I'm due a trip over!

ohlalaemilie said...

amazing blog !!!!

Jess said...

What a beautiful place you live! I love your picnic sketch, the huddle of rabbits and the sweeping countryside view, can't wait to see the finished painting.

Nonnie said...

Absolutely love the drawing! And the story that goes with it. The views from your walk are beautiful. I miss my drives through the lovely countryside around the A3 now George and I are no longer together.

HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS ... said...

Great little story and I am so looking forward to seeing your sketch painted. x

Garfy812 said...

I have just been flicking through different blogs and came across yours. It is so wonderful, both my daughters and myself fell in love with the pictures and the stories and of course Captain Rupert!!
Thank you!!