Friday, March 07, 2008

Captain Ruperts Garden Update



What a happy time was had by all. Captain Rupert was joined by a great many of his rabbit friends near and far. They chatted and danced and ate and played games and I might even be able to spot a little love in the air! The badgers organised an excellent game of hide and seek and the squirrels turned up and played there favourite game of kiss chase.


The bunting that had been sent before christmas to Captain Rupert from Nonnie decorated the clearing on the Downs perfectly for the occasion

The amazingly towering carrot cake went down a treat and so did the carrot stew, being brewed on the camp fire.

Captain Rupert thought it was about time to have some more photo's of him on this blog and what better excuse than a garden update. I met him early this morning in one of his favourite hiding places underneath the old hedge. He looked at me very disapproving, as I had been late for our appointment. Rabbits are very good time keepers!








On with the update. A major experiment is taking place by K. He has swapped and shared a large order of seed potato's, we have a grand total of twelve different varieties. Earlies, Main crop and late, including red duke of yorks, pink fir, and rocket. They have been laid out in the summer house for chitting. The aim of this experiment is to find a variety that tastes most like the ones his grandad used to go. Captain Rupert and I will keep you informed.









The purple sprouting broccoli is just about ready, we have never grown this before. Its not in the veg patch, but adds interest and colour to the front garden all winter long. Not only does it taste yummy but it holds its own looking pretty amoung the flowers. I would certainly grow it among the flowers again and the same for the curly kale.






The Daffodils are late in our garden, I think its due to it being such a windy place. Captain Rupert is rather pleased with the extra bulbs we planted, he takes great care of them, chinning them at any possible moment. As if to say his so proud of them and grow into lovely plants. Its lucky for me as they seem one thing he does not like the taste of.






Back in the raised beds the spinach and spring onions and broad beans are doing well. Under the cloche is lambs leaf, I must sow some more lettuce seeds. There seems to be something very nice about going out into the garden to pick leaves for lunch. We have Land Cress growing as well. It has a strong peppery flavour like watercress, but grows like a weed in the winter. I sometimes add some young spinach leaves into the mix too, it makes for a wonderful tasty mix of leaves.





New leaves we are trying out under our glass cloche are an Oriental leaf mix . Captain Rupert has been inspecting how well they are growing, his pleased with their progress and we are looking forward to some yummy salads.



Its still chilly out of the sun in the garden, so back into the house to warm up with a cup of tea and a slice of warm slice of toast for Captain Rupert at the kitchen table and look whats there.

All the new card designs back from the printers, including Captain Ruperts 'Tea Party'.

He is rather proud the tea party made it onto a card and says he thinks I should pay him royalties so he can buy the very best rabbit food and bread for toast, maybe even raisin bread. They are now available here.

PS. sorry the link was not working I think I have fixed it.

24 comments:

archi's mum said...

SQUEEEEE! It's fantastic!!! And I believe I see my Archi in there! The joining of the two colors of fur looks just like Archi!!!

Joanna, you are amazing!

Denise said...

Another fabulous painting. You are so talented. I love the cards... I may have to treat myself... very very soon!

LOUISE @ HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS said...

Hi Jo, the new painting is just fabulous, I always get so excited to see a new one from you. Is it Captain Rupert inside the tent in the sleeping bag, I ask? As always your new cards are lovely. You have gardening talent too, what lovely vegetables and salad leaves, your garden looks very well looked after. I always get so annoyed when you have to buy seed potatoes in such a large quantity, I never have anyone to share them with, so I don't grow them, I look forward to seeing your crop. Captain Rupert does look rather disgruntled waiting under the bush, not like him at all. He is much better suited to waiting by the daffodils and guarding those lovely glass cloches of yours. x

ellie said...

I love the colours in the painting, beautiful, muted green/blues, lovely !Such alot of detail, great ! It is a wonderful feeling to be able to go outside and pick leaves, herbs etc from your own garden isn't it. Look forward to hearing about the potato experiment .

shabby chic said...

Hi Joanne

Cards are lovely , and captain Rupert is lovely too. I like to catch up with him and hear about him enjoying his toast. Your garden looks lovely and green is very lucky to have such a nice home & mum
x Dominique

cd&m said...

The tea party looks like it was such fun I'm sure everyone had such a wonderful time! Captain Rupert looks as though he is really looking forward to the ver bed!

Nonnie said...

I love the new painting. The party looks absolutely lovely and I'm so pleased to see that Captain Rupert is making use of my bunting. Your garden is looking lovely. I long to be able to have my own garden and grow my own vegetables. Also the new cards look great. I've just been having a look at your website again. You have some lovely paintings.

divakitty said...

Hay I see me in that picture! I spotted my little white nose! ~Fiona Bun

The Bunns said...

Oh My Gosh! Very very nice!!!

And it is good to see the good Captain as well. The picture of him looking out from under the bush should be submitted to Disapproving rabbits for sure!!!

And the garden .... jealousy ...

PS .. more people continue to check out the Carrot Cake recipe! It is eaten around the world!

FrecklesandDeb said...

What a beautiful picture! And your garden is so lovely. Good thing you have Captain Rupert to keep everything in line!

Elizabeth said...

I've become quite addicted to Captain Rupert.
And your very English garden.
your cards are wonderful.
Have a great weekend.

Joy said...

We used to have a little grey bunny named Peter Rabbit. He lived
a very long life. Seeing Captains
picture reminded me of him.

archi ann said...

FI - I totally missed it till I saw your comment and went back and looked - that is so cool - you're up top there! squee!!! thanks Jo!

Cowboys & Custard said...

What a triumph Jo..Fabulous painting with so much detail and beautiful colours..
Captain Rupert will definitely be expecting royalties from this latest painting of himself.
Now how do you stop him nibbling the bulb shoots when they appear. I have friends who have a rabbit living in a burrow in their garden and they couldn't understand why none of the bulbs they had planted ever came to flower. Three guesses!

Michelexx

June said...

Your latest painting is wonderful, I could spend hours looking at all that is happening, there is so much detail.
And it is lovely to see Captain Rupert in his favourite spot under the hedge. :o)


By the way, the link to your cards shop in this last post isn't working.

Jackie M said...

Oh Joanna, the painting is looking just beautiful, I don't know how you do it, such a transformation; I love it! Love the cards and the photos of Captain Rupert too. Thanks for sharing the painting with us from start to finish. Love Jackie Mx

Rabbits' Guy said...

Yup .. the link to the tea-party card does not work. Help!!!!

PG said...

Marvellous painting Jo! This is my favourite of all I've seen of yours.

Jess said...

I love this painting, it's full of magic and transports me to a wonderful land when I look at it! You're so talented.x

The Fluffy Tribe said...

Captain Rupert is so cute sittin there all grumpy looking. Your garden is doing wonderful. My daffodils are still quite small and not close to blooming. I'm hoping my lettuce will be okay through the short cold snap we are having or I'm going to have to plant more. I will definately check out the new cards. I LUV Cpt Ruperts garden party. It's wonderful ~Jane and the FLuffy Tribe

Rachael Rabbit said...

Joanna - I am so totally in love with Captain Rupert. (PS. Your garden looks so well attended to! We are still in grey grass winter mode here. Sigh.)

Libbys Blog said...

As always love the new cards!
Blimey no caterpillar holes in the brocolli, how do you do it? Just a quick question, do you live in another country cos my garden is way behind yours in the growing stakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DK & The Fluffies said...

Is that Mrs. Sniffles and I in the top right corner? I sure like the flowers I gave her! Binkies! ~Orlando Bun

Lesley said...

Wow!!!! That's a fantabulous painting you've done! I'm very glad to see some bunny romance going on too! Love all the different characters in there. I could keep looking for hours, finding different things! So sweet! Your cards are beautiful too! What a lovely set they make. You must be really pleased with them.
p.s. Your veggie patch is making me very jealous. ;-)