Friday, April 11, 2008

A Little Box and Tea



In a new tidy work room, there was a nice new blue shelf.



And on this nice blue bright shelf, there stood an old and slightly battered liberty box.



In this old and slightly battered liberty box, there was cotton and some felt and some paper.



from the cotton and felt and some paper; a body started to take shape, with some adjustment and some trails and errors, came up with a pattern.



From this new little paper pattern, came a captain Rupert prototype doll.


I had wanted to make a rabbit doll for a very long time. I have never made my own pattern before, and up until now for some reason, I could not get it to work. It must be the tidy workroom, I'm starting to feel more organised.


With a few alterations the finished Captain Rupert.

Captain Rupert

I watched him hop down the garden path, through the gap in the gate.

He stoped to pick some flowers, I thought that's funny his not nibbling them.








Great Aunt Velvet looked up from her sewing and said 'don't you know his going out for tea today'

In his arm he held a bright blue book, and a card. I think he took the book to read on his journey and in the envelope was a card, it must be to give to the kind person who has invited him to tea, along with the lovely bunch of flowers.

captain rupert

I put the very first Captain Rupert Doll in the etsy shop and in no time at all much to my amazement, he sold. So I won't be seeing Captain Rupert bouncing back through the garden gate. This made me feel very said, the first Captain Rupert doll was very special to me and I really wished I had kept him to myself.



I know though he has gone to a very very nice home and will be very much looked after and taken care of, maybe even given a slice of carrot cake, this makes me very happy. I just hope he will behave himself, and not get up to too much mischief.


Captain Rupert and I have been lucky enough to be given yet another award by alison.



I still need to work out how to get the award image onto the blog, I'm sure its very simple, please tell me, thank you.



Have a lovely weekend



Joanna and Captain Rupert


x

32 comments:

Ulla said...

Your captain Rupert was absolutely wonderful - no wonder that he was sold so quickly :0)

About getting the picture of the award into your page, here is what I usually do:
Find the picture of the award, put the mouse on the picture and right click. Then you see a list of options. You choose "save as" and save the picture in your usual file for pictures.
When you have done all of this you will be able to put the picture in your blog!

I hope this makes sense?

Erica-Jane said...

Squeeeeak! He's gorgeous!
Um, you know the tea party in my kitchen the other night?
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I found quite alot of 'blue' fluff scattered about...must have been another blue rabbit, I guess....

p.s - your new work space is very cosy, I love peeking at where other create!

Erica
xoxox

archi's mum said...

did you paint the lovely picture on the drawers of the box too?!!!

that captain rupert doll is WONDERFUL!!! i wish you had kept it for yourself and am not surprised it sold. it is adorable. guess you now have a new line of products.

and i do love the stories you build around your art

lovely :-)
carri ann

Rachael Rabbit said...

Sometimes you have to keep the odd little bunny that touches your heart x He is beautiful - I'm not surprised he sold in an instant at all.

DK & The Fluffies said...

I love Captain Rupert's twin!

Rabbits' Guy said...

What a fine story! But you know, The Captain IS world famous, what with his renowned carrot cake and all ... perhaps some Head of State bought his Doll for a trophy case!

Maybe we will hear from the buyer and what becomes of the doll!

this is my patch said...

Oh no, Captain Rupert the 2nd, not returning from the tea party he was invited to, although I very much doubt if 'the' Captain Rupert minded one little bit. No room for two bunnies in this garden, I can hear him mumbling under his breath, and, not enough flowers to share either, or fruit bread to toast. Will you be making more Captain Ruperts, or are they a labour of love. x

Ziakoko said...

the other afternoon when I got home the tiny china tea set in the playroom was left on the table with a flower and card- I think I should have checked the toys for crumbs to see who had been entertaining.......

prettyshabby said...

oh he's lovely! I'm not surprised you were sad to see him go!
So glad you left me a message,I'd been admiring your house on flikr and now I can read about it too!

Katherines Dream said...

Joanna you are so clever he is just gorgeous....has he sold? if so will there be more?
Cx

June said...

Clever you, what a lovely felt Captain Rupert. He's going to be a treasured friend for someone I am sure, and probably the first of many more. You know how it is with rabbits....

To get the award picture, you can right click and copy it to your computer as a saved file, or simply left click on it and drag it to your desktop. Then just upload it to a blog post like any other image. Well done on the award too!

pink-petal-designs said...

How cute !!

funkymonkey said...

I love your Captain Rupert. Will you be making more?

Cowboys & Custard said...

I must join the queue of admirers for your new Captain Rupert lookalike .. he is a triumph Jo and I too would love to know when the next production is taking place..being a bit of a bunny fan myself!

Your talents know no bounds..

Love Michelex

Clover Yard said...

That was such a sweet story Joanna, your posts are captivating. Well done, I think you are on to a winner with your creation. I will be watching Etsy with interest!
Carolx

carolyn said...

In hindsight maybe you should have kept your first Captain Rupert toy but I'm sure there will be lots to follow and you must be much encouraged to have sold him so quickly.

Alison Boon said...

That was a lovely story almost as wonderful as the rabbit.

Libbys Blog said...

I loved your Captain Rupert, well done you.
Its lovely to see your house taking shape, it all takes time and money!!! Buts its worth it in the end!

Suzie Sews said...

Oh my..an adorable post...

Amy-and-Fez said...

I wish I was half as talented as you are!

We tagged you, since I enjoy your blog so much. Check out our post for today.

the flour loft said...

Hi Joanne,
Your Captain Rupert is perfect. I am not surprised he sold quickly. I love his tummy and his face detail. He looks so smart with his checked ribbon. Do you think you will make some more? maybe you should as you seem to have a queue forming.
A lovely weekend to you both.
ginny x

natural attrill said...

Love your Captain Rupert!
The liberty box brings back nice memories for me, we went there last year, it is such a beautiful shop.
We are having a charity draw on our blog if you fancy joining in.
P.

Elizabeth said...

Captain Rupert rules!
How clever of you design the pattern for him.Lucky person who got him.
The Liberty box brought back memories.
One of my summer jobs while I was at college was in the book shop there.
Everything much too expensive but still stylish.........

lola said...

awesome work!!

TV de LCD said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

The Fluffy Tribe said...

oh we luv the Cpt Rupert doll. More, more prototypes for Etsy. ~The FLuffy Tribe and Jane

Hmmpf my Mom has not made a doll of me yet ~Rabbie Burns

thevintagemagpie said...

Oh my Captain Rupert doll is a triumph. Can't wait for more to arrive in the Etsy shop.

www.potsandpins.com said...

What a fun and wonderful blog! I truly enjoyed my visit - thanks!

ElegantSnobbery said...

How adorable is Captain Rupert!!!

tlc illustration said...

How darling is he? Very good and clever work - making your pattern and all! (and feeling more organized must be amazing. I am ever-so-slowly trying to reaquire the condition myself!)

Say hello to Cap'n Rupert for me.

Bumpkin Bears said...

I love your captain ruppert bunny doll, he is just fab and oh so cute with his books and flower and little story :) I know how you feel when they find new homes, you are sad to see them go but happy because they will be loved. Beary Hugs, Catherine x

Mo said...

Adorable! Could you make a cat?