Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Captain Rupert's Garden Roundup


Firstly though many apologies, for disappearing for a bit, its not that I have forgotten you. I have heard it said before, but its so true, the blog feels like a conversation and once left a little too long its so heard to pick up the reins again or get back into the flow of the conversation. There is no other excuse really it has been busy, I have been helping K alot and I'm trying to plan for some shows coming up in the next month which really always worry me far more than they need to. I will be looking forward to catching up and I must update my links in the side bar.


Right on with Captain Rupert's garden round up. He has much to report apart from saying there are lots of tasty green things to nibble on at the moment. I love this time of year in the garden, seeing things come back to life, sowing seeds and seeing all the colours again.

The sheds have turned from a dark brown to white and blue, we can't decide if they should all go blue or not yet. It really brightens up the patio area. I'm looking forward to doing up the summer house side of the shed, my aim is to hold a open studio in the summer house. The other side is K's domain full of tools, its a his and her shed.

Well Captain Rupert did not want to be left out of all this painting and we painted his house blue too! He does not spend much time here as everyday he runs around the garden and house as he wishes. He would rather not be tucked up in his house at night but I'm worried about nasty Mr Fox and have to tell him its for his own safety. I'm not sure what he thinks about the blue as he would rather go and eat my flowers than admire his blue house.






Gardening with a rabbit is tricky. I'm so pleased Captain Rupert does not like daffodils so we had a good display. I am slowly introducing plants from the front garden that he will only have a nibble on, sometimes I think a little nibble here and there will do the plants some good.



Oh who is that who has sneaked up on my nearly painted table (also going blue), thats my cabbage seedlings.


The veg patch is out of bounds to Captain Rupert, but he sits by the gate guarding it or maybe waiting for a chance to break in and have a feast of radishes. I have made a little scarecrow (I'm looking out for some little shoes for the scarecrow), and maybe it will remind captain Rupert of Peter Rabbit and his dad, just as a little warning that bunnies should stay out of some parts of the garden.

The veg patch is has been giving us salad leaves, spinach and sprouting broccoli. The broad beans are attracting loads of bees and all my seedling carrots and beetroot are doing well in this hot weather. K has been watching his potatoes and is looking forward to trying the 12 different varieties he planted. Also attracting lots of bees is the really yummy honey made by the beas in the village. I had no idea if I did not wash the plate and spoon up straight away, I would get a more than normall bee visitors looking for their honey!


Mrs Blackbird has made a wonderful nest by the veg patch. She had been sitting on it for ages but has left now and sadly no baby blackbirds. which was sad as I was so looking forward to having baby blackbirds eating all the grubs in the veg patch.


This was another nest rather less hidden than Mrs Blackbirds, but right next door. I'm not sure who built it. Its becoming a prime piece of real estate, in the hedge by the veg patch, which is lovely, I do hope they have some baby birds.



The nice weather has let me get the final coats of blue on the front door. I have planted my sweet peas, on old dried out hazel sticks and we have put up wires for the climbers to break up some of the bricks.







K has started sailing again which is great as I can get more painting and I have loads of making projects that I want to do. Keep an eye out for more Captain Rupert dolls!!

Love

Joanna and Captain Rupert

xx

36 comments:

shabby chic said...

Hi Joanne,
Nice to see you & captain Rupert are ok. Your garden looks lovely & captain rupert is very lucky , as well as having a blue house himself. I can picture captain Rupert with a straw sun hat on and a blue flower!. Your front door looks lovely. You have a great shed area . It will be lovely for you to have all your work things in the summer house.
XDominique

funkymonkey said...

Your garden is looking beautiful and very 'country cottage'. Just the sort of garden a rabbit needs.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Your garden looks so nice with all those raised beds, not Higgelety or Piggelty at all. No wonder Captain Rupert wants to break in. My rabbits are rather jealous he gets to roam outside, I think I might try to get them out on the little deck, they are a bit skittish, being English Spots and all.

thevintagemagpie said...

Hi Joanna,

Glad to see you back and Captain Rupert looking in such fine fettle. I love the blue everywhere, so pretty.
Can't wait to see more little Captain Ruperts coming out of your shed in the near future!

archi ann said...

the gardens are amazing and lovely. i would love to have something on that scale! wonderful painting jobs! and i bet captain rupert is glad to be safe at night, even if it's not his favorite thing.

Rachael Rabbit said...

Hi Joanna - glad to have some more news on Captain Rupert. He missed a rather grand bunny picnic ... I thought he would have liked to attend ;-) Your vegetable beds look so gorgeous - I wanted to redo our raised beds this year ... but it is something I didn't get around too - maybe next year I shall have neat and perfect ones too!!

The Bunns said...

Outstanding pictures ... good work there. There will be fun all summer!

Hi Capt'n. You are looking well and surely have a good life. I expect being cozyed up in that dandy house is just fine with you, as long as feeding time happens regular!

Libbys Blog said...

I love the raised beds in your veg plot, they are not sleepers you've made them from are they scaffolding boards??
I think a pair of little red shoes for your scarecrow would look just fine and dandy!!!!

Nonnie said...

Your garden is looking so lovely and the blue is really pretty. I think you should paint the whole of the sheds in blue. I kept meaning to tell Captain Rupert that I saw a very large cousin of his while visiting Belgium the other weekend. I took a photo of him and will try to get around to sending it to Captain Rupert.

Jess said...

I love to see pictures of your garden, it's so cheerful and transports me to the countryside I love it! That blue is sooo pretty, I can see why you're painting everything with it! ;)

The Fluffy Tribe said...

Your gardens and yard are looking fangtastic Cpt Rupert. My Mom is trying her hand at gardening this year and I have to say her plants are coming up nicely. Her flowers look good, but I have some cousins living out under the pump shed that take nibbles here and there. ~Rabbie Burns

Simone said...

You have a lovely veggie patch and a lovely Captain Rupert with his blue abode.

Katherines Dream said...

Hi Joanna,
I love your vegtable plot! wish I could have one in my garden but it is just not big enough.
The shed and summerhouse are looking good, I like the white and blue, but if you did paint them all that gorgeous blue they would still look good!
Nice to have Captain Rubpert for company in the garden...my little helper fell on the pond the other day!
Carolxx

Lynn...aka..Mom, Nanny, Mommoe said...

I love Captain Rupert. I have one of his cousins in my back yard and I call him Chubby, because he is always munching on something. I love gardening, especially veggies and herbs, and he thinks that my gardens are his kitchen. :)

Lynn
http://knitpicky-lynn.blogspot.com

Cowboys & Custard said...

It is all looking tickety boo over at your blog Jo..
Love your vegetable garden.. Mr McGregor would be envious of such a plot and it must be heaven for Captain Rupert..
Hope the work is going well and your shows prove to be very successful..

Love
Michelex

michelle said...

Isn't it magical to watch our garden sprout in the spring. You have a lovely blog and captain rupert looks like he has a wonderful home and family.

this is my patch said...

You certainly have been busy Jo, the garden and vegetable patch are looking great. I would have your outside quarters painted as you have it with the hint of blue on the door. Look at Captain Rupert relaxing in his newly painted abode, a rabbit needs somewhere to relax after a large meal of, cabbage seedlings! It is interesting what you say about the honey, I suppose you do need local honey to attract local bees? How lovely to have the bird's nest, Mrs Blackbird's nest may not have been in a very safe place? Let's hope she has gone off to find somewhere else. I am sure you will see lots of baby birds around the garden before long. x

twiggypeasticks said...

Great to catch up with you and Captain Rupert again, his hutch looks very smart. Your garden looks lovely, Mr Twiggy says - nice veggie beds - praise indeed !!
Twiggy x

Clover Yard said...

Hi Joanna, what a lovely post. Do you mind me asking what shade of blue that is? Our front and back doors are painted a similar colour and we will have to redo it soon but I don't know the shade. THanks!
Carolx

FrecklesandDeb said...

Love the color of blue in your garden! What a lovely home and garden you have!

archi's mum said...

hey Jo, i'm going to want to buy more postcards - email me when you have more in stock

archi ann died this morning

your painting will forever be my reminder of her set free from the bondage of this world and her busted legs, running, hopping and playing "kiss chase" in heaven.

peace,
carri ann

Bumpkin Bears said...

I love your veg patch, I bet Rupert would love to get nibbling in there!!

Bumpkin Bears said...

I love your veg patch, I bet Rupert would love to get nibbling in there!!

carolyn said...

Glad to see that everything in the garden is lovely, and I'm so in love with your scarecrow that I might have to trawl the charity shops later this week for a little cardi!

natural attrill said...

I love those sheds, they look great, I like both, the white and the blue. I'd like to have a garden studio.

Elizabeth said...

Captain Rupert looks in fine fettle!
Greetings from Marrakech!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Tyler and Sydney from the left coast of the US tag the fabulous Captain Rupert with a name meme, if he can come and play, come get the rules from our blog.

Carla said...

Joanna, I love your vegetable garden. My garden is too small to have one. What a wonderful place for Rupert to live in.
Enjoy every minute of this all.

fionakelly said...

I can't wait to have my own garden... at the moment we have to make do with the communal gardens that surround our apartments. So mostly everything is in baskets or tubs. I so want to have raised beds like yours :)

We want to move but have had no viewings for ages now with the market the way it is :(

Hopefully things will pick up soon so we can have a garden like yours!

Fi
x

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

We just love your blog and have added you to our links, if that's okay! Please do stop in and say hello when you have the chance!

Regards,
Pamela and Edward

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Joanna, Carri Ann gave me one of your Rabbit Party cards and I just have to say it is gorgeous in person. You should post on our website something like "Warning: your screen does not do justice to this work, you will be stunned when you receive your order." Thanks for painting. ;)

cd&m said...

I wanted to let you know that I'm moving our blog to:

http://catondarlingandmoore.blogspot.com

hope to see you there.

Kim said...

You're garden looks great. What a beautiful rabbit!

mum of critters said...

hey Jo! Hope you're doing well - we sure miss your posts. Hope the art is selling well and keeping you busy!
blessings,
carri ann and zinger

Libbys Blog said...

Long time no blog. Hope everything is well with you and Captain Rupert.
All the best
L

Mrs. Sniffles said...

Oh boy, your garden sure is pretty! I can understand why Captain Rupert likes to hop around it all the time. Are you sure he's not allowed to have any radishes??