Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Beware lots of photos!





Not only has the blog been sadly deglected for the longest period ever, so has the garden. I need to get out and sort out all the weeds, cut the grass and hedges and generally make it look pretty again.

















The area around the front door still looks ok. I'm really pleased with the colour of the lupins and the front door.







The problem with leaving the blog for so long, is feeling all of a muddle of what to say. Its much better to do shorter posts more often (mental note to ones self). Its not that there has not been lots going on, but then maybe that was the problem there has been lots going on.





Just thought I would add a photo of the inside of K's shed its been a hive of activity with all the DIY.

K also whipped up a great new card display for the garden show which I had a stall at the beginning of June. (sadly forgot the camera for photos). It was a wonderful show full of lovely things, in a great setting. I felt really encourage by peoples lovely coments about my work - a big thank you. It filled me full of confidence. I have to admit I lack a little in the confidence department, I must over come it.


Just before the show I spent ages agonising over how I could get full size prints (A3) done of captain Ruperts party picture. At the very last minute I invested in a new A3 printer, with ultrachrome inks with a 200 year life. I can now do lovely big prints.

It was the only way really to do justice to Captain Ruperts Midsummers Eve party picture. I had the original and the print together and showed K he could not tell the differance so I'm delighted with the quality. I had the prints just in time to take to the show, which was fantastic.



I'm saying a fond fare well to the little Westies. They are all framed and and can't wait to settle into their new home with some more Westie friends.





I have also been doing a little sewing, I'm not best at sewing. When I was little, I would make dolls and glue their clothes as I had no patients for sewing. I'm finding it more enjoyable now and sewed pelmets by hand as my sewing machine is always misbehaves. They still need finishing, with ribbons and bells and sparkly bits, but they work at keeping the morning light out without all the fancy extras. I still need to make the one for the other bedroom window in total its going to be 40 panels! I have some nice felt too for sewing more captain ruperts.


I have told you Captain Rupert has been for his summer holidays, we have been away too. K has been sailing down at Weymouth, and I love the time he is sailing to sit on his boat cover and concentrate on painting. So we packed the car jam packed full of sailing things camping things, paints and paper for a windy week by the seaside. I can't beleave I forgot my camera, but that made me use my sketch book which was a very good thing. I will save my paintings and drawings for another post.


The days went so quickly and soon it was time to return, for a few days manual labour on our new driveway. We had always planned to have of street parking, we are not allowed to have it in the front garden and in the back garden we needed planning permission, so it took time. We finally sorted all that out which was great as although its a quiet country lane you get tractors and combines and grain lorries and the gritter in winter not somewhere you want to leave your car.



A digger dug it out the other week leaving us to find some railway sleepers and build the little retaining wall and put up a new fence for Captain Rupert to disaproove. It took 3 days, of K and I hauling sleepers around and shifting earth, at least 2 tons. I was shattered. Other casualties involved a bent and blunt chainsaw a cracked socket set and some broken drill bits and screwdriver.

We are pleased with the end result even though it has eaten into the garden a little. I can't wait to get some more plants in to soften the look abit too. Just need to sort out the scalpings and gravel.



And see this view as we pull out of the drive.







I am slowly going to be catching up on everyones lovely blogs. I worked out I can subscribe to the rss feed in yahoo mail and hopefully keep up to date much easier on all the blogs I read with out getting in a muddle and giving up on blog land.



Do remind me if you would like a link in the side bar and are not there, I still need to update it.



Its feeling good to be back in the world of blogs, thank you to everyone who is still here. Had better go and catch up in the garden while the sun is out.

19 comments:

mum of critters said...

welcome back - love LOVE the pics - the drive looks awesome - tons of work! wow.

and i loved the vid of capn rupert!

congrats on doing so well on your shows. your work IS amazing and i hope you gain confidence in yourself.
i was extremely blessed by the painting you did of Archi Ann for me and showed it off to EVERYONE. they were all quite impressed!

have a lovely weekend.

Rabbits' Guy said...

Nice work! Thanks for all the pix ... isn't that party picture grand?

PS... still about 7 people a month take a look at the pretty recipe for Capt'n Rupert's Carrot cake .. from all over the world! I will be making a batch again soon!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Oh yes, please include us on your sidebar! You have been on ours for some time. We adore Rupert!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

That must be a super printer you got. I bought one that in the store was very accurate, but is a little yellow home. Oh well. Looking forward to seeing your new works. If you feel like adding Tyler and Sydney to your side bar I'm sure they'd be shuffed (is that the correct use of the word).

tlc illustration said...

You have been busy!

I'm noticing the bricks laid at the base of your raised beds - a thing I've been meaning to do. Are they just 'laid' there, or are they mortered in at all?

Chrissy said...

Yes, still here, visiting your blog nearly every day and hoping for news.

No wonder you've been blog-quiet (new word!) with the show and holidays and sewing pelmets (looking good) and shifting 2 tons of whatever-it-was.

Everything's looking lovely in Capn Rupert land.

Suzie Sews said...

good to catch up with you, love the film clip in your last post!

twiggypeasticks said...

I wondered where you'd gone :) lovely to see you and the Captain again, would you add me to your sidebar too please
Twiggy x

Libbys Blog said...

Really good to see you back in the land of blog again!! Lovely catching up on all your news!

Cowboys & Custard said...

Hello Jo
so lovely to see you here again.
I have dropped in several times to see if you were back but just figured that you have been a very busy bunny and productive of course!
Lovely photos to entertain and Captain Rupert looking very bushy tailed and in good form..

WELCOME BACK

Michelex

Jackie M said...

Hi Jo, good to see you back and thanks for all the great pictures and the little film of Captain Rupert. When your neighbour's dog barked on the film, it set Alfie and Clover off and they rushed around looking for the dog! Love your pelmet and I must disagree about your sewing, as a very proud owner of a Captain Rupert doll, I must say your sewing is exquisite, really perfect. Captain Rupert has settled in very well here and he enjoys baking and eating your carrot cake recipe! Jackie Mx

Country Cottage Chic said...

I'm glad you're back & posting! Love the new prints - must hop over & have a look!

:-)
Jayne

this is my patch said...

I love your blue door Jo, this blue seems to be my favourite paint colour at the moment, although I don't have any around our place. I daren't show you J's workshop, it is not as tidy as K's! I am going to look into a printer like yours the next time we buy one, I would love one which did great quality prints. Lovely pelmets you have made, it takes me back to my childhood, the bungalow we lived in had wooden box pelmets above every window. Who needs a camera when you can sketch, I hope you had a great time in and around Weymouth, not sure what the weather was like? You have lots of planting opportunity in your sleepers, and driving out of your drive into that pretty country lane is idyllic. x

Rachael Rabbit said...

Hi Joanna (and Captain R.) I nominated you for a little bloggie award - I hope you don't mind. I simply love the patchwork valance on your window - beautiful beautiful. And if you want to see weeds in the garden come and check mine out - yours looks spotless as ever!

ginny said...

Hi Joanna,
Lovely to see you and captain Rupert back in blog land. Sounds like you have had a lovely break.
i can so relate to what you said about finding it hard to know what to say after a blog break. I was only thinking yesterday, after posting a long post, that if i posted little and often then it may all be easier to keep on top of things.
Glad to hear that your garden show went well and really i don't think you should ever lack confidence as you are so talented and your paintings are fantastic.
ginny x

MILLY said...

Hello Joanna,
just enjoyed reading your blog. Your pelmets are so beautiful, look just wonderful. Your print looks great too. It is easy to see why you have not had time to blog, busy with so many things. Good to see you back. Eileen

kelly said...

I do know what you mean about the garden. I think everyone has felt the same. We just couldnt get out there for so long due to the weather but now that we have had some sun, it is finally looking better. What paint colour did you use on the door? its beautiful.

The Fluffy Tribe said...

Oh Mom says to put some Cpt Ruperts on your Etsy store, Ms Cpt Rupert's Mum, when you do them up. SHe wants a Cpt Rupert to admire in the felt. Plus she luvs your new seating area. Unfortunately, her garden is irredeemable with weeds in the back although that hasn't slowed the watermelon growth. ~Rabbie Burns

MNGarden said...

Dear Joanna,
Higglety Pigglety is so charming I spent forever reading each and every post. I think you already have a Cheeky Captian Rupert Rabbit book by binding together your lovely artwork postcards as one page followed by each corresponding story on the facing page.
:-)