Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Pieces of Paper

The trees are slowly turning their wonderful colours of autumn, the nights are drawing in and the first fires of the winter have warmed us in the chilly evenings.

Its been a funny summer, lots going on, lots of mud, rain and building work and loads of problems with the phone line Internet. The later is still not fixed but a little better. I still only have the broadband on K's laptop and I have wires trailing all over the house. For all the wires everywhere, I need to use a memory chip to get anything from to and from the scanner or printer. Its been very frustrating. The BT openreach engineer has been working really hard for us trying to find us new wires for us to be on all the way to the exchange.

With this change in season and other things slowly changing. I feel a new lease of inspiration. Which is totally wonderful and refreshing, I have a pile of rough ideas ready to be developed.

These are literally piles of ideas, piles of paper. That sit around my desk and on my notice board reminding me they would like a little of my attention.

I have never been a sketch book person, rather I prefer random sheets of paper.

I love books, I love sketch books, I love to know I have one at hand just in case, I love the feel of it in my hands leafing through the pages, sketch books really appeal as a object, its just never works in reality.

I don't like all my drawings shut away not being able to escape from between the pages, sitting on the shelf, sitting in my bag and not being able to look back at me unless I opened the book at the exact page.

So I have folders, piles and sheets of paper,

Pieces of paper can be anything, they do not even have to be blank a receipt a paper napkin.

I can cover my desk with pieces of paper, all with my scribblings on and yes sometimes they are not much better than scribbles, but it does not matter its just one piece of paper. I can see all the drawings at once on my desk, and not one is hiding behind the next page. Maybe its for this reason I only ever use one side of a piece of paper.

I can group them together into projects, there are never any pages looming up waiting to be filled with scribbles but just the right number. I can fold them up have them in my bag tuck them in a book, make neat piles, stick them in a sketch book hang on a notice board.

I do have some recent scribbles to show you.

A Westie Hall of Fame, I'm working on a new westie picture but wanted to practice getting the faces right. It turned into this hall of fame. I would like to paint these up.


Great Aunt velvet really loves sewing, she likes to keep busy sewing while keeping one eye on all the Hurley burly life of the younger rabbits. Recently she has just finished a patch work quilt, just in time for the colder winter days when the rabbits will curl up in front of the fire and tell tales and dream of the warmer months to come. Great aunt velvet has used some wonderful pieces of material, some are so treasured, and hold great memories from her younger days. If only the pieces of material could tell their story.





p.s Captain Rupert is enjoying this autumn too with bountiful windfall animals for him to eat. His had plenty of visitors, a slow worm he bumped into around the back of the wood pile. A racing pigeon who took lodgings for a few nights and the robin who spends his evenings singing from the apple tree.

12 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

What fun that quilt is, internet things can be very frustrating, my condolences.Books do seem to hinder access don't they ? Although I love to buy sketch books I don't seem to use them so much...until lately, not sure if I should be worried about this personality change or not LOL. Best to the Captain enjoying his autumn.

Libbys Blog said...

Love your sketches, wish I could draw!!!
When the internet works we use it without thought, but when it doesn't its such a pain and we miss it.
Glad to see your all ok!

Suzie Sews said...

fabulous at work

Amanda said...

Do you know what? I am exactly the same as you but with writing - I cannot tell you how many napkins, receipts and the like are floating around my flat with anything from little ditties right through to monster odes written on them :o)

I love the Westie Hall of fame but the patchwork piece is my absolute fav!!

Sorry to hear you still haven't sorted out the kinks with your internet connection - I miss you and Captain Rupert. Glad to know you're both well xxx

Rabbits' Guy said...

My drawings and sketches are best left hidden :<)

Hi Captn R.

Cowboys and Custard said...

I love your sketches as much as the finished article..
There is a lovely quality and character to a pencil sketch..It was one of my favourite exercises when I was at art college to do quick 5 minute sketches in our life drawing classes. Problem was I could never tell what it was I had sketched afterwards!

Hope all is well with you Jo?
Take care

Michele x

Rachael Rabbit said...

I love your sketches!! So glad all the broadband stuff is sorted out and I can enjoy your posts again ;-)

Sal said...

I love your sketches..you are very talented! Wish I could sketch like that!!;-)

Chrissy said...

The Westie in the oval frame is so appealing!
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with these beautiful drawings.

tlc illustration said...

What windfall animals is Captain Rupert eating? :-P

Hope you can get your internet sorted the rest of the way soon.

Andy Guo said...

At first I was marveled to see such a blog.Your blog is sparkling. It has a great appeal. How are U able to cope such a lot. Meet me at
http://gwb-chinese.blogspot.com/
Waiting with curiosity. To know your innovation.

learn chinese said...

Thank you very much for sharing.
Through your blog, a lot of people including me of course have a chance to read and learn from.
I have read some of your post and I really enjoyed reading it.
And if you want to learn chinese,please visit at http://www.chinesepal.cn/.
Thanks again and looking forward for more of your posting soon!