Thursday, October 15, 2009






Torquil has been making friends with Captain Rupert, they have learnt they have the same interest in crusts of bread and carrot tops. Its great they have found this common ground as I think Captain Rupert had been suffering from depression since Torquil was born, I never thought it would effect a rabbit so much, but Captain Rupert is a very cuddly rabbit and I completely underestimated the effect of a little person would have on him.




Torquil is enjoying the great out doors his crawling and pulling himself up on the nearest object he can get too. Which reminds me I was going to do a post on how he got his name.




It goes back to just over a year ago and K and I trudge about camping up mountains in the Pyrenees...I was about 14 weeks pregnant. On the last day we had to walk back from Spain to France though the breche de Roland...a gap in the mountains. We had to go quickly .....the weather was meant to be turning......with the clouds closing in..... I huffed and puffed my way with the ever growing bump.


I just made it to the mountain hut on the french side when it started to Thunder.....K followed behind after he attempted to get to the top of a little mountain near by......He rain down to the safety of the hut with the thunder and lightening crashing and banging behind him.


We had been lugging a tent around for two weeks.......well K had the tent.....I had all the fluffy stuff like sleeping bags..................He thought that night we should brave the hut.............I'm not very keen on huts as they are full of black mould and you have to sleep on bunk beds with lots of snoring people.................tents so much nicer.


So we spent the afternoon in a nice warm hut with a lovely cosy fire going eyeing up the thunder storm and trying to decide what to do.


It was my great idea to get down the mountain away from the hut and the black mould....There was still thunder but it did not seem as bad.


Until a third of the way down it got very dark.......and then it was clear the thunder storm was coming directly down our valley. When it passed over us we crouched down low in the best place we could find. It was really very scary


We made it to a little cabin where we met a french man from paris, he had cleaned the hut with a feather he had found and it certainly was a welcome sight.


Torquil comes from old Norse......The god Thor and his cauldron where he brews his thunder or strong soldiers. Its also an old Scottish name.


More soon, I have managed to do a little drawing and have a head brimming with ideas for pictures.

20 comments:

a painter said...

Those photos are so adorable! Thanks for the story on how your wonderful baby got his name.

Mary Beth said...

Ah, such a face! I'm glad Captain Rupert is getting better because Torquil is just perfect!

Rabbits' Guy said...

We been waiting quite awhile for such a photo. A fine pair ...

The Bunns say HEY Capt'n R.

Crafty Green Poet said...

How happy Torquil and Captain Rupert look to be together! Lovely photos!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Glad to see the Captain approving the new first mate...

Fez and the Gang said...

Well it's a weird looking bunny... but he has a great, strong name! Obviously will be great at disapproval. I suppose Rupert will have to teach him all the ropes!

this is my patch said...

I can't wait to see your new pictures. The photos are lovely, and ones to cherish. I fear CR's ears may be something for Torquil to get hold of to pull himself up! That's so nice how you have chosen a name which has so much meaning for you. x

Jessie said...

Lovely to see you back and blogging! I hope we get to see some of your new ideas...?x

Rachael Rabbit said...

So glad they have found a common interest! Our little dog still gives our baby bunny a very wide birth. She hasn't discovered crawling yet ... more an elaborate rolling method for getting around ;-) Hope you are well x

Amanda and Tim said...

Oh gosh he is growing so fast :o) Such a sweet little boy x I am SO glad that he and Captain Rupert are finding common ground as I was so sorry to hear Captain Rupert found it hard to readjust to the new addition to the family.

Have fun with the painting - can't wait to hear more from you xx

June said...

So glad to find a new post from you showing that all is well with Captain Rupert and Torquil. I was very worried at the long silence after you mentioned Captain Rupert wasn't well in July.
They make a great pair... and I bet they keep you very busy with their mischief :o)

MILLY said...

Lovely to see Torquil. I bet the last few months have flown by. Anyways nice to see you blogging and hear you are back at drawing. Love the photo of Torquil sorting out the beans. Have fun he'll grow up so quickly.

MILLY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carla said...

How nice to see you blogging again after a few months. You must have had busy weeks with that beautiful boy of yours. He looks so wise for his age. Enjoy this great time!!!!

ginny said...

welcome Torquil ...he is such a bonnie wee boy and what a sweet photo of him and Captain Rupert.
i shall let alice know that i have found you again... hope things are good with you,
warmest wishes
ginny xx

AmyMusings said...

At first I thought that rabbit was fake. I'm not sure which is cuter, the rabbit or the baby. I love me some bald baby head. This could be a pic of my oldest when he was that size. Completely top heavy.

KarenHarveyCox said...

These photos are so adorable. Looks like Torquil is on his way to lots of adventure in your beautiful home and garden.
Happy New Year.
Karen

. said...

nice to see u again....keep it uplist of healthcare

Kylie said...

I think having something in common is very important in a relationship no wonder Torquil and Captain Rupert are getting along. I just hope Captain Rupert don't sleep with Torquil in the crib or Torguil sleeping in the rabbit hutch with Captain Rupert.

Top MBA colleges in Pune said...

Thanks for sharing